As another year comes to a close, Green Buffalo Runner would like to extend a sincere thank you to everyone who has supported our efforts throughout 2013. This includes the many individuals who signed up to become Green Buffalo Runners as well as all the participants and volunteers who helped make our 2013 Earth Day Run a reality.
Since launching our initiative back in October 2010, Green Buffalo Runner has sponsored four community awareness runs and attracted over 40,000 unique visitors to our www.greenbuffalorunner.org website. We are truly humbled by all the support we have received.
Gearing up for 2014, we have some exciting plans in place. This year’s Earth Day Run will be a 5k race held in late April with a date & location to be announced soon. The primary target for this year’s run will be aimed at attracting young runners and their families. A part of each registration will be donated to WNY’s own, Earth Sustainable Solutions and their Young Adults Environmental Leadership (YAELP) program. YAELP brings local high students together for a two-day training conference each year to help them establish sustainability plans for their schools & communities.
Another new component of Green Buffalo Runner will be our green certification process for local running events. Organizers of all local runs will be contacted and invited to sign a green pledge asking that they consider adhering to the seven principals outlined below when organizing their event. For all runs that comply, Green Buffalo Runner in conjunction with the Arbor Day Foundation will plant 10 trees in a National Forest on behalf of the Event Organizer or charity of their choice.
These principals include……
• Promote and accept reservations to their running event online.
• If absolutely required, paper needed for marketing and or registrations purposes will be kept to a minimum.
• The contents of any race-related goodie bags will contain items/giveaways keeping sustainability in mind.
• Attendees will be encouraged walk, bike ride or carpool to the starting line.
• All water stations will be equipped with paper (NOT PLASTIC) cups. Attendees will also be encouraged to bring their own water bottle.
• Post-Race Party (Think green) - Food provided from a local Farmers Market / Co-Op?
• Post-race trash will be collected and disposed of in a responsible manner.
In summary, Green Buffalo Runner is excited about 2014 and engaging our WNY community in helping to build a greener future for our children. We hope to see you in the new year!